Friday, July 27, 2012

His Grace is Sufficient for Me


Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.  but he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  2 Corinthians, 12:8-9

His grace is sufficient for me, with diabetes.  His grace is sufficient.

I am just a jar of clay.  Flawed, breakable, mortal.  Walking, impending death.  I am going to die one day, obviously, but the truth is that diabetes makes me more susceptible to an early death. Infection, heart disease, kidney disease, blindness, cancer, all of them statistically more likely in this little clay jar.

Yet I hold a treasure inside.  God's perfect power.  The Holy Spirit, the spirit of wisdom and revelation.  The power of eternal life.  Every spiritual blessing in Christ.  The freedom from sin, redemption, restoration, the blood of Jesus.  And that is sufficient for me. 

Through my weakness, His power is made perfect.  If I were perfect already, how would His power be made perfect?  There would be no process of perfection.  People would not see Him at work. 

We carry around in our bodies the death of Jesus, our remembrance of His blood and our brokenness, our sin, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed.  So that healing and redemption and restoration would be evident.  And we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 2 Corinthians, 4:7

Change that lasts--redeeming power--is the Lord's, not mine.  He uses me...he uses my flaws, my imperfections, my pride, my critical Spirit, and yes, even my diabetes, to show His sanctifying power...that has nothing to do with me.  I have handled this diagnosis very messily, but praise God the Father, who brings me to my knees so gently...  

I think I was trying the "do more and try harder" approach to my diabetes, to prove I could handle it.  I was wanting to take the reins and do it myself instead of relying on my source of strength.  I kept trying to show myself that I could make this lifestyle change and do the "right" things.  Problem was, I would always wind up falling, messing up, miserable.  Praise God He has reminded me of my source of strength.

I surrender this and look to Him.  I know He is the only thing I can cling to for redemption and sanctification.  I know His perfect power is  the only thing perfect in this jar of clay.  And because his power is being made perfect through my diabetes, I will choose to delight in it.  To God be the glory for this weakness.


2 comments:

  1. Your faith in Him and your transparency with your struggles has been encouraging and inspiring to me since I first met you Krissy! Thank you for sharing. It is good to be reminded where our strength lies. (I need to be reminded every MINUTE some days.) It is a gift that you give by sharing your story. :-)

    ReplyDelete