Sunday, June 30, 2013

Reflections from Honduras

 
Every year our church goes on a mission trip to Honduras.  We bag and distribute hundreds of pounds of food, build a house for a poor family, and spend a lot of time playing with the kids in the streets.  Here are the reflections of my heart from this year's trip.
 
*************************************************************
Today I met a woman named Tona.  I would guess she is in her early fifties.  Her house was washed completely away by a storm surge this summer.  She used to make donuts, but all of that was washed away, too.  With no place to live, no job, and no hope, she had resolved to hang herself.  But Marlene, the women's pastor, found her and talked her into going to Bible study.  Now, she attends every week.  She is living with friends and will have to find a new place to stay at some point soon, but now, she has hope.  She has Christ.  I thank Him for making things new.  I tell her in broken Spanish that Jesus saved my life, too.


Tona is the one on the right at the very end, in white.  The lady to the left of me is Marlene, the women's pastor.

*************************************************************
(Sisi, on left, and me)
Sisi, who is 10 years old, used to have two sisters.  She doesn't know what happened to one of them.  I am not sure if this sister ran away, or if she just vanished, or what.  I wish I knew how to speak better Spanish.  One day, Lord.  I hope that this sister has not been a victim of sexual slavery, as it is very prevalent here...

Found out later that Sisi's sister is safe and ok, she is just not living with Sisi and her mom anymore due to some rebellious behavior. Thankful that's it. 
*************************************************************

I am singing "La Niña de Tus Ojos" in the street with the kids.  It translates, quite literally, into "The Little Girl of Your Eyes," meaning His eyes.  As I play the guitar and sing with these little girls, the meaning of the song and the circumstances overwhelm me with emotion.  These girls...the little girls of His eyes.  I get choked up and the tears roll down.  I am unable to sing, but the little girls, they continue...they carry the song.  How beautiful are their little voices to me.  One of the moms and I meet eyes and she is bawling, too.  I think she tells me what a blessing I am.  We share this moment and embrace each other.


*************************************************************
The girls on the team and I are on the patio, singing.  We are learning a new song, a song about trusting Him with everything, letting go completely.  One by one, we are consumed by the Spirit.  Each one of us breaks down.  By the end, the tears are flowing freely.  Spirit lead us where we trust You without borders...

*************************************************************
Ashley, Alejandra, Sisi, Kimberlin, Naydelin.  Those are their names.  They take my hand and won't let go. They sit beside me on the rock and snuggle up to me.  They grab me and spin me in circles until we all fall down.  They jump on my back.  They fight for my attention.  We play and play.   "Where is your mama?"  I ask each of them.  "At the house," is always the reply.  Are they really here all alone?  Lord, how they fend for themselves.

("Kreesy, Kreesy, Kreesy!!")

(Me and Naydelin.  She would barely leave my side if I was around.)



*************************************************************
Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior

*************************************************************
We are fasting today.  Before our devotional I am feeling very hungry and my stomach is growling, but after it, I am full.  Physically and emotionally and spiritually full.  I am not even thinking of food any longer.  
*************************************************************
Last year, I never got to tell Shelly goodbye.  Shelly is 7 or 8 years old, but she looks about 2 or 3 because of a developmental disease.  Last year I saw her in the classroom and I said her name, "Shelly!"  She looked up at me in surprise and said, "You remembered my name!"  Of course I remembered your name, Sweetheart.  

The teachers don't want to baby her too much, but I do anyway.  I only come once a year, so I figure it couldn't hurt.  I help her color an assignment that much younger children are doing.  But that year, I didn't get to tell her goodbye, because the last day at the center, the rain was coming down.  This year, I find her in the street and I am so happy.  "Do you remember me?"  I say.  Shelly smiles a knowing grin and nods big. I grab her and hug her tightly.
(Shelly and me)

(Shelly, me, and another little one who wanted in on the picture)


*************************************************************
Él tiene celo por mí, 
su amor es un huracán yo árbol soy 
doblándome bajo el peso de su viento y gracia. 

Y así de repente, 
Ya no recuerdo mi aflicción eclipsada 
en gloria, 
me doy cuenta de cuan hermoso eres Tú 
y cuan grande es tu afecto por mí. 

Oh, Él nos ama hoy, 
cuanto Él nos ama, 
Él nos ama hoy. 

Él nos ama, 
¡Oh! Él nos ama, ¡Oh! Él nos ama 
cuanto Él nos ama.

*************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment